Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Laundry Shmaundry

When I lived in Brazil, I remember doing my laundry several times by. hand. and thinking, "When I get back to the U.S., I'll never complain about doing laundry with a washer and dryer again."  Then I got back, and I despite my declaration to never complain again.  I do complain and hate...a lot.  Laundry is by far my least favorite chore.  I don't know what it is.  In my mind it's not a hard chore, and once it's done, I feel like my own mother saying to myself, "see it wasn't that bad".  But I still dread it every week.

I have tried everything I can think of to make it a more painless chore.  I tried doing 1 load per day.  Again, you wouldn't think it would be that hard.  But I felt like I was doing laundry all. the. time.  So after a year, I quit that routine (and don't let me fool you into thinking I was perfect at it either...when I say I did a load a day, I use those terms loosely.  Very loosely.)

The next thing I tried was getting it done in two days a week - I would do a couple loads on Monday and a couple loads on Thursday.  Looks good on paper, right?  Wrong.  This was even worse.  I only lasted a few weeks.  I felt even more like I was doing laundry all the time.

You know what I think it is?  It's the folding.  That's what gets me every time.  I am okay putting the dirty clothes in the washer, then changing them to the dryer.  Heck I'm even good at getting them out of the dryer.  And that's where I experience some kind of freakish paralysis.  The clean, warm laundry goes onto my bed and that's where it stays until every last load is done.  And sometimes it stays there until late at night when I'm too tired to fold it before I fall into my bed at night, so I throw the laundry on the floor.  Then when I wake up I put it back on my bed.  This would sometimes go on for days (how embarrassing....seriously I'm blushing a little).  Now that I think of it, I should kiss my husband for never complaining about it.  He's so good to me.

Anyway, it's time I announced to the world that I have solved my laundry woes.  Or, I've found a way to deal with them. I mean, it's not like I've gotten rid of laundry all together, which would be the only true solution.  So here it is...the secret of laundry.  I call it the Band-Aid method.  Get it done as fast as you can, and then don't think about it.  I still do my laundry 2 days a week, BUT (thanks to my sweet sissy, who taught me her tricks) now I do it on Monday and Tuesday.  And ya, the {clean} laundry still sits for a day before I fold it all at once, but by Tuesday afternoon, my laundry is d-o-n-e for the week and I don't have to think about it again for 5 -count em FIVE- days.

I might even be able to do laundry for the rest of my life.  Heck maybe I'll even learn to fold each load as it comes out of the dryer.  Maybe.

0 comments:

the 7 goddesses

These 7 goddesses share their wisdom with the rest of us. Click on their tabs above to learn their lessons and read their tips:

APHRODITE - goddess of love & beauty - this is you

NYX - goddess of night - lessons on wifery (is that a word?) and all things night time

LETO - goddess of motherhood - all things related to motherhood

DEMETER - goddess of food & harvest - and for that reason, my favorite. Find tried and true recipes here

HESTIA - goddess of hearth & home - on making your house a home

ATHENA - goddess of wisdom - making learning a lifelong journey (plus a killer book list)

ELPHIS - goddess of hope - cause we could all use a little more!

Good for a laugh

"My dad hates brownies when they're gone." -Hudson age 2

 

all things goddess | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates