Tuesday, September 1, 2009

the.best.chocolate.cake...ever.

I don't really like chocolate *gasp*!  Ya, so sue me. :)  BUT my best friend of who knows how many years (we met in 7th grade) made this cake once and it is oh so delicious - even I love it! :)  I can't tell you how many times I've called her to get this recipe and written it down on some scrap piece of paper, then lost the paper only to have to call her again the next time I wanted to make it.  You'll know what I'm talking about once you taste it.  Whenever chocolate cake is served at a function where we both happen to be, the #1 question is always from me to her, "is this your chocolate cake?" or from her to me, "is this my recipe?"  It's just really not worth eating unless the answer is "YES!"

Ingredients:
1 cup water
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
In a saucepan, melt together water, cocoa and butter.  Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.  Add ingredients from saucepan to mixing bowl.  Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.  Mix well.  Pour into greased cake pan.  Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350.

***Note: substitute for buttermilk (although the buttermilk is SO much better):  1/2 cup milk + 1 capful of white vinegar.  Let it sit for a minute or two.  It will get kinda chunky.  Yum. :)

0 comments:

the 7 goddesses

These 7 goddesses share their wisdom with the rest of us. Click on their tabs above to learn their lessons and read their tips:

APHRODITE - goddess of love & beauty - this is you

NYX - goddess of night - lessons on wifery (is that a word?) and all things night time

LETO - goddess of motherhood - all things related to motherhood

DEMETER - goddess of food & harvest - and for that reason, my favorite. Find tried and true recipes here

HESTIA - goddess of hearth & home - on making your house a home

ATHENA - goddess of wisdom - making learning a lifelong journey (plus a killer book list)

ELPHIS - goddess of hope - cause we could all use a little more!

Good for a laugh

"My dad hates brownies when they're gone." -Hudson age 2

 

all things goddess | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates