Monday, September 28, 2009

Worth your time...

I am currently reading a book called The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist.  It's a book I just happened to come across when I was perusing the isles at the library, and I think we were meant to come together.



I don't know how good I am at book reviews, but I will tell you that if I don't like a book, I don't finish it.  If I think it's poorly written or doesn't seem to share any useful and/or life-changing information, I don't waste my time.  This book has been incredible, and I highly recommend it.  For example, check out this excerpt (it took me FOR.EVER to pick just one paragraph :)


"What is enough?  Each of us determines that for ourselves, but very rarely do we let ourselves have that experience.  What is the point at which we're fulfilled, where we have everything we want and need, and nothing in excess?  Very few of us can recall moments in life when we have felt that....we mostly breeze right past the point of enough as if it's not even there.  There comes a point where having more than we need becomes a burden.  We are overcompensated, overstuffed, swimming in the excess, looking for satisfaction in more or different ways.  The experience we crave of being fulfilled in life cannot be found in the chase for fulfillment or the chase for more of anything..."


Lynne Twist talks about how the rich and the poor (for the most part) are in the same emotional boat.  The poor fear that there is not enough for them in this world, and the rich fear that they will lose what they have.  The poor want more, and the rich want more.  Her point is that for some reason we think that we will be happy if we can get our hands on enough money, enough things, and that there's some kind of illusive point at which we think we will have enough to be happy.  Thing is, that point never comes because no matter how much we make and how much we have, our tendency is to want more.  This rings so true to me...I am living proof!


I think the meaning of a book can be different for each person who reads it, and that different lessons stick out to different people for a reason.  The meaning and what I think the point is, is she wants us to find satisfaction and fulfillment and soul in life regardless of what we have or don't have.  We can reach that place we've been looking for TODAY, by making the choice to be there.  By believing that we do and will always have everything we need, by reaching out with our excesses and helping the people around us.  As she puts it, using our money to express our "soulful commitments".  


I think she's right, and I am enjoying the freedom and richness of life that comes by getting off the hamster wheel in the illusive search for more and being grateful and content with the incredible things I have already!

2 comments:

Farmgirl Paints said...

Hi Kallie,
Sounds like a great book. I just finished reading your profile on the Brave Girl's site. I'm really looking forward to meeting you. It's coming up soon:)

Brossettelewis said...

Now waiting for it from the library. Thanks for the suggestion.

the 7 goddesses

These 7 goddesses share their wisdom with the rest of us. Click on their tabs above to learn their lessons and read their tips:

APHRODITE - goddess of love & beauty - this is you

NYX - goddess of night - lessons on wifery (is that a word?) and all things night time

LETO - goddess of motherhood - all things related to motherhood

DEMETER - goddess of food & harvest - and for that reason, my favorite. Find tried and true recipes here

HESTIA - goddess of hearth & home - on making your house a home

ATHENA - goddess of wisdom - making learning a lifelong journey (plus a killer book list)

ELPHIS - goddess of hope - cause we could all use a little more!

Good for a laugh

"My dad hates brownies when they're gone." -Hudson age 2

 

all things goddess | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates